Brewery spotlight: Hangar Two by Tangled Roots Brewing Company offers an impressive menu and stylish space in north suburban Glenview
Hangar Two by Tangled Roots Brewing Company
1100 North Milwaukee Ave. in Glenview
History in short: Tangled Roots Brewing Company has done a lot of work in a small amount of time — and a lot of it amidst a global pandemic. The original brewery (called The Lone Buffalo), located in Ottawa, IL, creates the majority of the beer for all four restaurant locations — now in DeKalb (Keg and Kernel), Lockport (Lock & Mule) and Glenview (Hangar Two), and more expansion is on the horizon (see below).
The space: The stylish Hangar Two is an ode to the former Glenview Naval Air Station and training center. There’s a versatile mix of lounge seating, tables, leather booths and bar seating to go with plenty of aeronautical decor like pilot helmets, ceiling fans shaped like propellors and photos showcasing the history of flight. Even the lounge seats are made from refurbished airplane seats and metal from actual aircraft.
The large dining room and bar are beautiful in their own right, but we were immediately drawn to the open and airy atrium with its glass ceiling and a bit of a coastal vacation vibe. Not surprisingly, it’s quite popular for brunch, private parties and baby/wedding showers. The front patio is a destination during the summer months too.
The team at Tangled Roots takes pride in a “farm to foam” idea when it comes to the brewery. … Also, a weekday happy hour from 3-6 p.m. includes food specials, $4 select beers and $5 house wines.
Interesting note: The team at Tangled Roots takes pride in a “farm to foam” idea when it comes to the brewery, including Forty1Eighty8, which happens to be the coordinates of Ottawa, IL, where the brewery is located. This beer, along with several others in their lineup, is grown with hops and barley from their farms in Ottawa. … A weekday happy hour from 3-6 p.m. includes food specials, $4 select beers and $5 house wines. … They also offer a Brew Club membership with plenty of benefits and exclusive events.
What we’re eating and drinking: Approximately 20 percent of the scratch menu at Tangled Roots’ four venues is based on seasonal creations determined by the individual restaurant chefs, while the other 80 percent is generally consistent across all four locations. And it’s an impressive menu to be sure, full of specialty items (pan-seared chicken schnitzel, parmesan-crusted cod), brew-pub favorites (crispy Detroit-style pizza, Hangar Two burger, Halfway to Nashville chicken sandwich) and unique creations (honey lime shrimp salad, bison chili).
On the beer front, we enjoyed a pint of Devil’s Paint Box, which is a bitter grapefruit-flavored IPA, the Subject to Haze hazy IPA, clean Sunkissed Blonde Ale that carries a hint of blackberry and lime, and the Campfire Flannel brown ale with a caramel and toasted malt backbone.
Tangled Roots will be expanding into the Illinois cities of Washington, Aurora and LaSalle in 2024, as well as building an event space at the Ottawa brewery.
On the horizon: An extended wrap-around patio is being built at Hangar Two this summer, and Tangled Roots will be expanding into the Illinois cities of Washington, Aurora and LaSalle in 2024, as well as building an event space at the Ottawa brewery.
From the brewery: “From the start, our goal has always been to make sure that great beer and food can be enjoyed by as many people as possible, whether or not they consider themselves ‘foodies’ or beer connoisseurs. … Each of our stunning restaurants and brewpubs is unique, drawing its name and concept from the local history of the town it occupies.”